Coleg Elidyr – An Excellent College
Celebrating 40 years of leading innovation in special education
Coleg Elidyr has marked 40 years of leading innovation in special education with an outstanding report from Estyn in its anniversary year. Founded in 1973, the college was judged excellent for both its current performance and its prospects for improvement. We are the first specialist college in Wales to achieve this under the new inspection framework introduced in 2010.
Estyn visited the college in June 2014 and rated Coleg Elidyr as “Excellent” in 11 out of 12 categories, including: standards; well-being; learning experiences; care, support and guidance; the learning environment; leadership; improving quality; partnership working; and resource management.
The excellent rating from Estyn indicates “many strengths, including significant examples of sector-leading practice”.
Inspectors found the college’s current performance to be excellent because:
- nearly all learners make exceptional progress in the development of their learning skills, literacy and numeracy and independent living skills within a very short timescale;
- all learners make outstanding progress in applying their skills in practical, meaningful situations across the college;
- all learners take part in relevant work experience that prepares them well for future life;
- the college provides a very wide range of meaningful learning experiences that are very well matched to the needs of individual learners and have a clear focus on the development of skills;
- most teaching is good or excellent; and
- all staff have a very good understanding of the individual needs of the learners, and provide effective care and support.
In terms of leadership, the inspectors praised the strength of vision and direction provided by leaders and managers, and the significant improvements achieved at the college since the last full inspection. They also praised the quality of governance and noted how well all staff work together in order to ensure improvement.
Inspectors also noted that “all learners develop their communication skills very well and make extremely good progress against targets to develop their independence, problem solving and thinking skills… Learners make outstanding progress in developing their social skills”.
The report highlights the college’s positive and inclusive ethos, which promotes diversity extremely well. “The college is a nurturing community in which all learners and staff are highly valued and respected. The college environment is calm and welcoming.” “The extensive outdoor facilities promote the learners’ health and wellbeing extremely well”, it adds, while “the layout of the grounds enables learners to travel independently and confidently around the site.”
The college has made exceptional progress in addressing the recommendations from the previous inspection and the recent annual monitoring visits.
To read the full report, please visit the Estyn website (or click here)
Click here to download the Coleg Elidyr Estyn Inspection Report (pdf)